Sunday, April 19, 2009

The CNN/Ashton kutcher 1 million followers thought.

Well, twitter recently had a little event between CNN and Ashton Kutcher. For a quick read up mashable has a good report on it.

For many this "event" and milestone for twitter has for many brought Twitter into the mainstream, in general Mr. Kutcher claims it as a new changing of the guard going from old style news feed from the mainstream media to that of news from the common social media "reporters" comprised of twitters and other social media users.

However, in response to this, I think it must be remember that while the access of information has grown and sped up, I also believe that the issue of factual content, objectivity, and unbiased reporting becomes even more important. While mainstream media has changed from the objective news source to that of biased news for many who get their news from the internet, it should be more and more apparent that we require a change in the old media. An evolution for it to adjust to the new information world.

So in general, am kind of for and agaisnt the Kutcher claim. I'd rather see an evolution of the old guard to adjust to the new world. Thoughts?

3 comments:

  1. I agree with wanting the "old" media adjusting to the "new". I think we're in a transition period now where journalists are just beginning to accept social media as a tool for their job, and that's why traditional media still seems slow. I still can't really believe Ashton Kutcher won.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually wrote about this too. I think it is not a good sign of social media that Ashton Kutcher has beat CNN in number of followers. It definitely shows what our society cares about - While I think its not a healthy obsession. Someone commented on my post saying that you have to remember why people use Twitter; its usually for a social means and not to gain news. But what I think is wrong is that Ashton Kutcher is calling himself a citizen journalist and saying that his updates about the master cleanse and Ms. Kutcher's hair are breaking news. I just don't think people should care about this. Just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While mainstream media has changed from the objective news source to that of biased news for many instagram followers cheat who get their news from the internet, it should be more and more apparent that we require a change in the old media.

    ReplyDelete